Friday, July 27, 2007

In the News: Derek Roy Got Hella Paid

Despite the fact that I still haven't written about Vanek's mega-contract (I'm clearly not committed to being the best non-professional Sabres blogger I can be. What would Ryan Miller think?), I feel the need to go on record and say I'm really psyched about keeping Roy in town for the next six years. The $24 million price tag is a little less than ideal, but given the current state of the market, it's hardly unreasonable. (The fact that a four million dollar cap hit for a player like Roy isn't unreasonable is thoroughly disturbing, but that's a different blog post [which will probably never happen {sorry, Ryan!}]) In any case, I'm just relieved that we didn't have to suffer through arbitration, where it's entirely possible Roy could've come out with a comparable award, but over a two year period instead of six. My feeling is, it may seem like a lot of money for him as of now, but I'm fairly confident that midway through the contract it'll at least be a fair deal, if not a steal. He's shown tons of potential over the past couple of seasons, both as an offensive play-maker, and as a defensive center, and I think he can only get better. He's also a good penalty killer, which, let's be honest, isn't exactly something the Sabres can let walk out the door right now. Sure, he's small, and league-wide he's known more for his diving and whining than his point-scoring, but he's scrappy, and he still has time to grow up. 24 isn't exactly 14, but it's not 34 either, and on a team looking for players to step up (What? The Sabres have recently lost leadership? Really?), I feel pretty good about Derek's chances to be one of those guys. He may not get a letter, but with his big fat contract, he's still got a lot to prove. And as a 5'9", 186-pound guy trying to make it in the NHL, I like to think he's had plenty of practice at proving himself.

I have to say the best part of this deal, for me, is what it says about where the front office's heads are. Since July 1st they've been imploring fans to stick with them, promising that losing Drury and Briere would seem worth it, once it allowed us to lock up our young talent long term. I, for one, believed them from the beginning, but Roy's contract, as well as Vanek's (even though it wasn't exactly what they had in mind) shows that they're not afraid to put their money where their mouth is. And now they're saying they're going to be working on extending Brian Campbell's contract during the season? I like where this is headed.

I listened to Schopp and the Bulldog this afternoon, and I had a couple of thoughts. Since I haven't quite reached the stage of hockey desperation where I'm willing to call in to the local sports station and risk making a fool of myself, I'm just going to purge all those thoughts here. Because what is a blog, really, if not a place to dump all the thoughts no one else wants to/should have to listen to? First of all, there was a lot of talk about Roy's status with the Buffalo fan base. The gist was that so far this off-season the Sabres have lost two huge fan-favorites, and in return they've signed, long term, two players with big "buts" attached. As in, "Vanek's awesome, but he doesn't always go hard," or "Roy's alright, but what a diver!" I thought it was pretty telling that the last time I looked at the list of the top-selling jerseys, I noticed Roy's was in the top ten. Derek Roy, the third line center making less than $700,000, and not exactly known on a national scale, had a top-ten selling jersey. On the one hand this could just mean that Buffalo is so disgustingly obsessed with Slug merchandise that they'll buy anything (possible), but on some level, they have to love this guy, right? Another thing that was revisited over and over again, is how much trouble Derek is going to have managing the pressure of this contract without Chris Drury helping him out. Oh God, cue the eyeroll. Look, I know this contract is a big responsibility, and that Roy doesn't have the most disciplined reputation, but Drury was not this team's mother. I heard it a lot in the aftermath of the Vanek deal, too. "We're paying him how much? And Drury isn't around to remind him not to take a shift off? We're doooooomed!" I'm not saying Drury's famed leadership skills aren't valuable, but this team isn't just going to suddenly fall apart because he's not there to keep their shit together for them. They knew how to play hockey long before he came along, and I'm willing to bet they'll continue to do so long after he's gone. Honestly, people, Vanek and Roy are big boys. They can clean their rooms and brush their teeth all on their own (hear that, Andrew Peters?), and they'll learn to deal with living up to big bucks. You know why? Because that's their job. And if they happen to need help, well, that's what Lindy Ruff is for.

In other news, my sister has finally finished reading the new Harry Potter book, so updates will probably be pretty infrequent (more infrequent than usual, if you can believe it) over the next couple of days while I get my crack at it. I'm sorry, but a girl's got to have her priorities, and in my book Harry Potter > hockey off-season. (I hope that didn't offend anyone who's a huge fan of the off-season.)

8 comments:

Heather B. said...

Gambler, I went on temporary hiatus during Harry Potter weekend so I definitely understand where you're coming from. Enjoy! We'll have to discuss when you're done. My slow poke husband will be forever with it and I'm dying to talk about it!

From my experience, Derek is one of those love him or hate him guys. There seems to be very little middle ground. Maybe the passion of the haters makes the hate seem more prevalent than it is? I know I've said it before, but I love the little whiny bastard. Love him!

And if they happen to need help, well, that's what Lindy Ruff is for.

Seriously. I think Lindy is one of the best in the league when it comes to handling young talent. He'll do what he needs to do to support Vanek and Roy but he's not going to coddle them either. If he has anything to say about it, both guys will be earning their money. I loved Chris Drury while he was here, but I'm really tiring of him and hearing how perfect he was.

Katebits said...

I'm pretty happy that we have little Derek Roysie for 6 years, and I totally agree Gambler; I am very soothed by Darcy's recent moves. I feel like our ship has been righted (not that it was ever really knocked off course.)

This is totally off topic, but you know who I've been feeling sort of sad about lately? Little Danny Briere! Here we had a guy who seemed to genuinely like Buffalo, and may, or may not have been willing to stay for less than market value. (we'll never know about that one because the Sabres never bothered to negotiate with him.) I'm not saying his piles of gold in Philadelphia won't help to heal his pain, but I do feel a little bad that the guy was shown so little respect simply because he was on the same team as slag-faced Chris Drury (Who, incidentally, agreed to a contract during the season, then backed out, and then didn't even return our calls on July 1st. Couldn't he have at LEAST told the Sabres ahead of time, "listen, I'm leaving". Then, we might still have Danny.) I was the most loving-Chris-Drury-est person in Buffalo, but that guy screwed us and we STILL go on and on about what a great guy he is. We sound like a bunch of battered spouses. I'm SO sick of hearing about how much his presence in the dressing room will be missed.

Schnookie said...

Wait, Chris Drury isn't the young Sabres' mother? Since when? TELL ME WHEN??? Sigh.

And Katebits, I'd fell sorry for Briere too, except, well... it just... Briere.

Heather B. said...

Kate, I feel a little bit sad for Danny too and I'm genuinely worried that he's not going to be happy in Philly. The fans are awful, the Flyers still have no defense, and it's not a hockey town the way Buffalo is. He was the king of the mountain here and I don't think he's going to get that in Philly and I think he liked that role and handled it well. I understand why the Sabres chose to pursue Chris over him, but I do hope he's happy. And you're right that the poor guy got lambasted way too much for simply not being Chris Drury. Poor little hobbit.

Anonymous said...

heather, I actually think the philly phans are pretty good. They are just......from Philly (and by that I mean very quick to jump on someone when they're not doing their job). I'm not saying I like them by any means, but they're almost as passionate as those fans from Buffalo.

As for HP, it was decent, but I can't wait for all you bloggers to finish it so you can get back to writing your reasons you love hockey. Please hurry.

Heather B. said...

Brian, fair enough. Philly fans are passionate. I suppose the booing and stuff suggests that they do care. By "awful" I just meant that they're not very patient and will turn very quickly on an underperforming player.

Anonymous said...

That is an apt description of Philly fans. And after the Eagles fans booed Santa Claus, don't you think players would recognize what they're getting into when they sign there?

Gambler said...

Whoa! This comment thread is hoppin'!

Heather, Derek is definitely a victim of the type of "little man syndrome" that I despise with a passion when I have to deal with it up close, but from a distance he wears it really well. I can't help but love him, even though he is most definitely a whiny bastard. I can understand why some people may not love him, but to say he's a horrible hockey player... really?

And I agree with you about Lindy's abilities to manage young talent. It annoys me to no end that everyone's all "Drury this, and Drury that" and no one seems to remember that this team, you know, actually has a coach. A kick-ass coach.

(Oh, and I'll let you know when I'm done with Harry Potter. I know when I finished the fifth book before everyone I knew, and had no one to talk to about it, I was a mess. Do you have some sort of instant messaging service?)

Kate, I feel bad about the Briere situation, too, because I really believe he meant what he said about wanting to stay in Buffalo and possibly ending his career here. He clearly loved everything about Buffalo, which is precisely the way to a Buffalonian's heart, but sadly it just wasn't in the cards for him. Even without Drury in the picture, I don't think the Sabres would have been willing to pay up for a player who's basically a redundancy (what with all the offensive power and similar stylings of Vanek, Max, Roy, Connolly, etc). Even with a hometown discount Danny would have been expensive, and he's just not that essential to us. I'd wish him luck on his new team, but unfortunately that new team is Philly, and I don't think luck is going to cover it. I agree that Philly is a passionate hockey town, but he's definitely going to be eaten alive by the fans. At least he has Marty to keep him company. Not to mention his millions upon millions of dollars. (But as much as I don't really hold a grudge against him and actually kinda feel bad for him, I won't stop calling him "the hobbit," because it's too fun. And also, hey, I love hobbits.)

Brian, your impatience is very flattering! I'm trying my best, but I'm not the fastest of readers, so I'm not going to promise anything.