Monday, July 2, 2007

Reason I Love Hockey #9

Team Comes First

The last 48 hours have been rough ones for us Sabres fans. We’ve had our beloved co-captains snatched away by two of the Sabres’ most hated rivals: the Flyers and the Rangers. Actually, the worst part of is that they weren’t exactly snatched, were they? They went where they wanted, and what they wanted wasn't in Buffalo.

But there is good news: I still love hockey, and I still love my team.

There’s nothing like the loss of a player (or two) I adored to prove that it was really the sweater I loved more than anything. Thinking about Briere in black and orange, or Drury in blue and red breaks my heart, but it’s pretty clear-cut. They’re not Sabres anymore. Therefore, I can’t love them. If you’d asked me a couple of days ago, I would have told you that I didn’t think I’d have it in me to hate Danny or Chris, even if they went to teams I loathed. While they were still officially in the blue and gold, I thought nothing could possibly come between us. I was wrong. Okay, so I don’t exactly hate them. I still love them for all of the great moments they brought me as a fan of Buffalo, and there are certain memories I won’t be able to erase. But as far as I’m concerned, they’re not those guys anymore. Those guys were Sabres. Those newest members of the Flyers and the Rangers aren’t.

When you think about it, a sports team is a funny thing. Its identity is fluid, changeable; players come and go, administration changes, logos, names, and even locations aren’t set in stone. And yet the definition is pretty simple. Either you belong to a team, or you don’t. And, ultimately, that’s what dictates a fan’s loyalties. So, while this experience definitely sucks, it’s nice to be reminded that I really do love my team more than anything else. Chris Drury, I don’t care if you really are the same guy who scored that 7.7 goal. Without the Slug on your chest, you’re gonna be just another player.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gambler, please tell me you're not going to diarize the Game to Remember tonight. It's just wouldn't be right. I'm worried for your mental health if you do that to yourself!

Patty (in Dallas) said...

Well, put Gambler. Realizing that you can still be a fan of your team after something like that happens can be very liberating.

(By the way, I love your blog tagline.)

Gambler said...

Kate, I have to. I mean, if I don't do this one, then I probably won't do any of the rest of them. My resolve will be shot to hell. Plus, I think it might be a good way to get some aggressions out. Snark always eases the pain. I promise, though, that if I find myself really breaking down at any point, I'll stop. I'm not going to punish myself too much.

Patty, thanks. (And thanks for making sure to add the "in Dallas" part to your name. Otherwise I would have totally been all, "What's Patrik Elias doing commenting on my blog?" You two are so easy to mix up!)

Heather B. said...

I told my grieving husband a couple of days ago, "You love the logo on the front, not the name on the back" to which he replied, "I TRIED TO TELL YOU THAT WHEN JAY LEFT AND YOU TOLD ME THAT WAS THE DUMBEST THING YOU'D EVER HEARD!" Which is true :-) But he was right and you are too. We're Sabres fans first and foremost.

I love your ID picture, by the way. So cute!