Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Reason I Love Hockey #22

Sabretooth

Okay, honestly, how awesome is Sabretooth? You would think a team named “the Sabres” would have a really lame mascot (and I’ve seen proof that we once had a mascot called “Sammy the Sabre,” who was apparently a cartoon sword somehow on ice skates and holding a hockey stick—LAME), but somewhere along the line some front office genius piped up, “Wouldn’t it be cool if we had, like, a tiger? A sabretoothed one?” And hockey was never the same again. I first met Sabretooth when I was five or six. My dad took me to a game, and I can remember nothing except that I spent almost the entire time whining about wanting to see Sabretooth, and then when I finally did get to meet him I flat-out refused to get close enough to take a picture with him. To this day, whenever Sabretooth is involved I’m transformed into that little girl again: equally thrilled by and hyper-aware of his presence, but way too embarrassed/shy/excited to actually interact with him. Instead I watch from a distance as he pals around with little kids, bangs on the glass, leads cheers, and generally just runs the show. He has the kind of untouchable star power the players only wish they had. The Sabres are just hockey players, but Sabretooth? He’s a celebrity, and everyone knows it. I mean, you don’t see Ryan Miller repelling from the ceiling to the tune of Eye of the Tiger before every game, do you? Okay, okay. I know it’s just a guy (or girl) in a furry costume, but the truth is that that furry costume has become an institution, the way only a kick-ass mascot could.

No comments: