Saturday, December 1, 2007

Mister December

So Soupy's the man for December, huh?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'll admit that immediately following the, uh, Captain Exodus this summer Campbell was the first name that popped into my head as a possible replacement, but now I'm not so sure. He started out the season on a tear, playing with the kind of confidence that makes him a formidable offensive force, but lately he's been iffy. In Monday's game against the Caps he was a downright mess, committing turnovers left and right and pretty much incapable of playing defense. Don't get me wrong, I definitely appreciate his 14 assists and 16 points, and who knows, maybe he'll really excel in the role of leader. Only time will tell, I guess.

It just makes me nervous about the future, especially in regards to his UFA contract. The market price for a offensive defenseman these days is ridiculous, and I'm worried that we'll get ourselves handcuffed to a huge contract for a guy that's not very consistent. If he's going to be considered in the upper echelon, price-wise, of UFA defensemen, frankly I'd prefer he spinarama off to another city. That being said, I love Soupy. He's frustrating as hell sometimes, but he's an incredible skater and when he's playing with a swagger he's exciting and dynamic. When everything's said and done I'd love to see him in a Sabres sweater as long as possible. He's grown up in this organization, and I like to think he likes it here; he's certainly worth something to this team. But is he worth $6 million? Is he worth giving up the chance to re-sign Pominville? Or Miller? The Sabres just have to figure out a way to get him locked down for a reasonable price. And soon. (Yeah, I know no one's ever thought of that before. This is why I don't write analysis.)

At any rate, I'm elated that Hecht is keeping his A (alongside Jaro Spacek). He's definitely earned it.

3 comments:

Mark B said...

Gambler - I wonder if Lindy partly uses the rotating Captains to kick start guys? Toni was tremendous in November and Jochen has been one of our best players all year. Maybe having the C on his jersey will lead to more consistent play from the Flying Tomato!

Gambler said...

Yeah, I think that makes sense, Mark. I'm just confused as to why Lindy doesn't just say that, instead of pretending that his play has warranted when it hasn't. But Lindy's such a strange beast. Here's hoping the C does for Soupy what it did for Toni!

Katebits said...

If we lose Pommer because of Soupy, I am going to LOSE MY SHIT! However, if Soupy extends his contract well under market value, I will love him forever. I can go either way with this guy, but right now, I'm wary.