Friday, February 6, 2009

Blacked Out

I may have mentioned this before, but I'm currently studying to get degrees in both German Studies and Theatre at a small college in Saint Paul, MN, and in case you were wondering, the life of a German and Theatre double major is a largely hockeyless one. 

It's like they've deliberately teamed up in order to deprive me of my favorite hobby and second-favorite hobby (watching and blogging about hockey, in case that wasn't clear), two seasons in a row. Last year it was my German major that forced me out of the country, forced me to rely on fickle internet connections and a weakened sleep schedule in order to even get a glimpse of my team. If you'll remember, the long months of separation eventually drove me into the arms of another sport. This year the Theatre major is picking up on that slack. I've just been cast in a show set to open at the end of the semester, and it's going to be eating up all of my prime hockey time. Between now and mid-March I'll need to attend two rehearsals a week, and from then until the beginning of May it will be four nights a week. Add in the fact that I have a night class, and that's 3 to 5 nights a week spent not watching hockey until at least mid-playoffs. Ouch. Since I don't have a TiVo (hell, I don't even have a TV set), I have no recourse but to sit back and let the hockey happen around me, deaf and blind to it all.

The timing pretty much tells the whole story of my relationship to my two majors. Whereas my German major turned out to be trying to save me (as it tries to save me in a lot of situations, mostly from going insane) from watching the end of an eventual 10-game losing streak and an unspectacular push to almost make the playoffs, my Theatre major is (as per usual) trying to ruin my life. The Sabres look like they're finally pulling their shit together, and all of the sudden my Theatre major needs my undivided attention? That can't be a coincidence. Sure, for a while there we were a heartbeat away from starting a traffic cone on defense, and the situation hasn't gotten that much brighter, but Ryan Miller has been, in the words of Marshawn Lynch, "too solid... way too solid," Thomas Vanek has continued to dazzle, and even Drew Stafford, for God's sake, has woken up and started devouring brains like it's going out of style. This team, for the first time since the beginning of the season, seems capable of (and maybe even destined to?) make the playoffs, and this is when I have to stop watching? I call bullshit, Theatre major.

I'd love to say more, and hell, maybe even watch some of the game that's starting right now, but--you guessed it--I have to get to the theater.

P.S. Just to be clear, this isn't to say that I plan on slacking on my resolution to post at least once a week, but perhaps you'll understand if my posts start to contain little more than hearsay and speculation, mixed with a large portion of complaining?

3 comments:

TheSharpie said...

I can completely understand. I had it bad enough going to college out of state (with no TV), but now I'm 8 time zones away. Earlier this season I was down south with little and then no internet access, so I could barely follow hockey at all until Christmas.

Oh, and enjoy the play anyway. I worked on some plays in college (mostly set construction, but also some stage crew and some sound stuff), and I had a blast.

Eleanor said...

Congrats on getting cast in the show, Gambler! Break a leg!

Back when I was a theater major we didn't have things like iPhones and shit, so I had to rely on asking the Tech Director with the pager to tell me when the Devils scored. It was awful! I used to pray for the rehearsal space on the 3rd floor that faced the apartment building, so I could watch the NBA games on the tv in the living room in the apartment across the street. (And the actors thought I was actually paying attention to them! HA! Just kidding. Sort of.)

Gambler said...

Sharpie, being so far away from your team does suck, it's true. 8 time zones, though? That's rough. Good luck with that.

And despite my ongoing bitterness and disillusionment with my theatre department, I suspect I will enjoy working on this show. Thanks!

Pookie, that does sound awful! You must have been a real trooper to stick to it during hockey season, especially because stage managing is usually a much bigger time commitment than acting. That's too funny about watching TV from across the street, though!

All I can say is I'm glad I'm a fan in the time of blogs, so at least I can stay updated at a level deeper than just box scores. Although lately reading blogs is making me feel just how disconnected I am, since it seems everyone's in full-on crush mode with Connolly and there's suddenly some big panic about whether we should trade him, re-sign him, or neither. And here I am, sitting off to the side, having not seen any of the latest razzle-dazzle show going "Guys, really? Connolly? Her? He sucks! ...Guys?"