Monday, October 29, 2007

Bucky Misses Me

Hey all! Sorry about all the silence lately, but I'm currently up to my eyeballs in rehearsal for the single most painful show I've ever been involved with. And that's not even considering the fact that it's making me miss out on hockey and blogging. Seriously, don't get me started on all of the things I hate about it, or I'll be here forever. Instead, let me get started (again) on all the things I hate about Bucky Gleason! Yay! (I know I've spent a lot of time complaining about this show if complaining about Bucky Gleason feels like a refreshing change of pace.)

Apparently Bucky misses me, because he wrote an absolute gem for the paper this weekend that he just knew I wouldn't be able to resist. Well, Bucky, what can I say? You got me. You know just what I hate! I'll be brief:

The article starts off okay enough, in that Bucky recognizes that a 5-5 record isn't the end of the world, and he actually manages to use the word "talent" in conjunction with something that rhymes with neither "Schmury" nor "Schmiere." But then there's this: "For all the ESPN plays of the day that fans stored in their memory banks, it was the Sabres' supreme confidence on foreign turf that often gave them a 1-0 lead before the opening faceoff." I'm... kind of handcuffed by how little sense that makes. I think I'll just let it (mis)speak for itself.

Bucky's point about how the Sabres don't scare anyone anymore, particularly on the road, is valid, but he fails to mention how last season started with an October spent scaring the opposition and ended with a post-season spent scaring their fans. Coincidence? The fear probably hurt them more in the end than it helped them last year, and I'd much rather have them playing scared now than in May.

By saying that there's "no need to rehash Chris Drury and Daniel Briere for the umpteenth time," Bucky rehashes Chris Drury and Daniel Briere for the umpteenth time. Well played, sir. He goes on to say that "the first 10 games have shown Buffalo's flaws run deeper than the departures of the former co-captains." I'd argue that they've shown Buffalo's flaws are almost completely unrelated to the departures of the former co-captains, but you know. Six of one...

I find myself agreeing with his "six pack" bullet points, comments about Kalinin and Hecht notwithstanding. Still, it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff. Vanek's not scoring? Our defense is sucking? I sure hope this guy is getting paid for this!

Bucky then "treats" us to his thoughts on some non-Sabres issues, starting with the Rangers:

"Snicker while you can at the New York Rangers, who had just 15 goals in nine games going into the weekend and suffered back-to-back 1-0 losses last week. Unlike the Sabres, their first 10 games were not indicative of trouble. Drury, Jaromir Jagr and Brendan Shanahan had just one goal apiece while newcomer Scott Gomez had two."

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Back up. What was the number one problem the Sabres are having, again? Oh, that's right. "1. Underachieving stars." So for the Sabres, who have been getting secondary scoring from such non-stars as Pominville, Roy, and Hecht, not to mention a healthy dose of defensive scoring, the disappearance of Vanek and Afinogenov spells disaster. But for the Rangers, who have been shut out three times already this season--once by the Bruins, might I add--the expensive scoring drought is just growing pains? A speed bump? Get outta town, Bucky! (No really.) You can't have your cake and eat it, too; either underachieving stars is a problem, or it isn't. Also, I didn't hear you saying "they're veterans who will come around," when discussing Tallinder and Lydman's recent defensive problems. What, exactly, is the difference?

He goes on for a while about things I don't really care about, but I'm "rewarded" for sticking with him until the end with his take on the Oilers' recent video tribute to the once-captain-now-returning-as-an-Av Ryan Smyth. And if you don't know where this is headed, you're drunk. Sure enough: "Just wondering if the Sabres have anything similar planned for Drury and Briere." Seriously? Seriously? Look, setting aside the fact that I think it was ridiculous that the Oilers did that in the first place, Smyth had at least played eleven seasons with them before fucking off. Drury and Briere didn't play that many seasons as Sabres put together. I get that they did great things here, and everyone loved them, and there are a lot of great memories (I mean, think of all those Cups they brought us! Wait...), but Bucky. Get over it. They just weren't that into us. There's no need to go embarrassing ourselves trying to tell them how much we "miss" them. It's (been) time to move on. Furthermore, Sabres management: just, no. If this happens I may have to fly home just so I can puke ceremoniously right in the middle of it. Because I'm going to puke either way, and I'd rather have you clean up the mess.

Whew! I know I said I'd be brief, but that felt way too good. Too much pent-up aggression, I guess. Less than three weeks until this cursed play is over! (And then I'll get back to actually writing about the Sabres, and not just Bucky Gleason, I promise.)

6 comments:

Meg said...

Oh dear, I hadn't read the article before and now my head has exploded.

Also, I didn't hear you saying "they're veterans who will come around," when discussing Tallinder and Lydman's recent defensive problems. What, exactly, is the difference?

And look at that, they've already begun to come around. Because they turned in nearly 30 pretty good minutes apiece against Tampa. Hell, the Tampa announcers actually spent time drawing attention to Tallinder's good plays and pointing out what a good game he had. And they weren't a wreck in Florida either. Shocking. And Miller's turned in a couple markedly better games, as well. Tell me it's not so!

Meanwhile, Kalinin was better than mediocre before he got hurt, while Campbell has been bad enough in his own end to be part of the problem, but yes, lets give him 5 million a year. I'm so glad we have Gleason on hand for player evaluation.

I was also happy to hear that Hecht isn't a guy who "commands respect in the dressing room." I guess the players voted for him to be captain to show him how little they respect him.

I think that reading Bucky Gleason articles has reached watching George Bush press conferences on the Bad-for-My-Mental-Health scale. But I'm glad you've made an appearance to highlight his immense stupidity. :)

Katebits said...

The funny thing about Bucky's bullet points is that they almost all had some validity, but they also all had at least one sentence of lunacy. I think this article is the most nonsensical one yet. (It also MUST have been written before the weekend.)

Silly, Bucky!

Heather B. said...

I'd totally avoided this column until now so thanks a lot, Gambler :-)

The video tribute is stupid. It was stupid when the Oilers did it for Smith and Smyth, it would be even more stupid for the Sabres to do it for Drury and/or Briere. They played here for like 5 seconds compared to Jay McKee and Marty Biron. Are they getting video tributes? These guys aren't retired or dead! Good lord!

The Sabres didn't give in to the whining about Ted Nolan not getting a big welcoming fanfare so I'm sure they won't give in here either. As well they shouldn't.

Nice to see you, Gambler!

Mark B said...

This is why I'm glad I fight the urge to read his nonsense. It's been a peaceful life, being Bucky free.

Gambler said...

Sorry I inflicted the Bucky article on you unsuspecting readers, but I really needed to bitch about something! Sorry for the head explosions!

(It also MUST have been written before the weekend.)

Oh, without a doubt. As evidenced by the fact that, as Meg said, he failed to mention all the players who have already started to turn their games around. You could tell he really wanted to write about a 3-7 start to the season being abysmal and insurmountable. I bet he cried when he had to settle for 5-5 being "unpleasantly average."

I was also happy to hear that Hecht isn't a guy who "commands respect in the dressing room." I guess the players voted for him to be captain to show him how little they respect him.

Not to mention he has 7 points in the 10 games since he was named captain. Not too bad for someone who's never exactly fit the label of "scorer." But I guess leading by example is only something Chris Drury does, huh?

I'm sure they won't give in here either. As well they shouldn't.

Yeah, I have faith in them, but I felt I should issue the warning anyway. Just, you know, in case Larry Quinn happens to be reading. And you're right, Heather, if anyone is getting video tributes it should be Jay or Marty. (Actually, I'd really love to see a Marty video, provided that it's all backstage, off-ice footage of him being silly. That would make my day.)

Glad to see you all haven't forgotten about me in the ages since I last posted! Thanks!

Meg said...

Sorry I inflicted the Bucky article on you unsuspecting readers, but I really needed to bitch about something!

Hey, sometimes rage needs an outlet. Otherwise you wind up ranting about the stupidity of Bucky Gleason to your poor, unsuspecting, non-hockey loving roommate. Not that I've done that or anything.